Tech companies such as Facebook, Google, Microsoft and others cancelled their annual conferences and events due to the outbreak of the coronavirus disease. While most of the cancelled events were scheduled to take place in the US and Europe, tech events have also started to be cancelled in India as well.
The coronavirus disease (COVID-19). The SARS-CoV-2 virus was first reported in December 2019 in Hubei, central China and has spread to over 60 countries. The outbreak has claimed over 3,000 lives globally while over 89,000 people have been diagnosed with COVID-19. More than 105,000 people have been infected with coronavirus worldwide, with at least 3,500 deaths till date. Many other major gatherings have been postponed, canceled, or turned into online-only events.
The fast-spreading virus has also threatened this summer’s Tokyo Olympic Games, killing six in Japan and shutting down most schools, sports competitions and Olympic-related events in the country.
Here is the list of tech events that got cancelled due to the spread of coronavirus disease.
- Mobile World Congress MWC Barcelona – February 24-27 in Barcelona
- Cisco Live Melbourne (March 3-6 in Melbourne) – Canceled
- Salesforce World Tour Sydney (March 4 in Sydney) – In-person cancelled; online-only event
- Realme 6 series launch event in New Delhi – March 5
- Facebook Global Marketing Summit (March 9-12 in San Francisco) – Cancelled
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 series launch event in New Delhi – March 12
- Domopalooza (March 18-19 in Salt Lake City, Utah) – In-person cancelled; online-only event
- Microsoft MVP Global Summit (March 15-20 in Bellevue & Redmond, Washington.) – In-person cancelled; online-only event
- Nvidia GTC – GPU Technology Conference (March 22-26 in San Jose) – In-person cancelled; online-only event
- Adobe Summit (March 29-April 2 in Las Vegas) – In-person cancelled; online-only event
- Google Cloud Next (April 6-8 in San Francisco) – In-person cancelled; online-only event
- Google News Initiative Summit (Late April in Sunnyvale, California) – Cancelled
- Google I/O 2020 cancelled – May 12 to May 14
- Facebook F8 (May 6-8 in San Jose, California)
- Shopify Unite 2020 developers conference (May 6-8 in Toronto) – In-person cancelled; online-only event